Friday, September 2, 2011

4 Books

Book #1

Pride and Prejudice.  This book is it for me.  I re-read it once a year.  I watch the Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle mini series multiple times a year, because it is almost identical to the book, which is rare.  It's the only Pride and Prejudice TV/movie version of the book I will watch.  And not just because of Colin Firth (yum!), although there will never be a better Darcy.  In high school we were supposed to read it in Senior English.  I read the first 2 chapters, didn't understand a word because of the writing style, and refused to read the rest, not really caring at all what the book was about.  Then our teacher put the mini series on, and I was hooked to the story.  I didn't start over from the beginning, but picked up where our class was, and was just in time to read the letter Darcy wrote to Elizabeth about Wickham and his interference between Jane and Mr. Bingley.  I read every chapter after that.  I went out and bought my own copy when we had to return the book to the school.  It's dramatic, funny, romantic, and I smile my way through it as I read.  It will forever be my favorite book, and I'll never stop re-reading it.  "I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation.  It is too long ago.  I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."  Oh, Darcy.  Swoon.

Book #2

To Kill a Mockingbird.  It is one of the rare books I read cover to cover for English class.  The movie is one of my dad's absolute favorites and I had seen it long before the book was required reading.  I had enjoyed the movie so I was willing to give the book a shot.  I'm glad I did.  I haven't read it again since school, but it's on my list of books that I must buy.  Books that can weave a fascinating fictional story effortlessly into social commentary on the times are truly works of art.

Book #3

A Walk to Remember.  I don't care if people think that's cheesy.  I read the entire book in one day because I couldn't put it down.  I think I cried throughout almost the entire thing.  I kept looking at the clock and seeing time pass until I had finished and it was 5 in the morning, but it was that riveting.  I'm a sucker for romance, and holy did I get that.  I think that love is the kind of love everyone deserves in their life.  I've read the book multiple times, and I cry my eyes out each time.

Book #4

Jane Eyre.  Like Pride and Prejudice, I gave up on it pretty early.  The only reason I started reading it again was because my teacher was giving pop quizzes after getting annoyed that no one was reading it.  I started doing the infamous read the first and last sentence of every paragraph thing.  The story started off a little slow, but the second Jane met Mr. Rochester I had a hard time putting the book down.

Tomorrow it'll be time for 3 Films!

No comments:

Post a Comment