Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hello 2012

Maybe slightly late, but Happy New Year!

I don't make resolutions.  I think resolutions are kind of silly.  Just because it's a different year people decide to change something?  Why not change something when you realize you should, no matter the time of year?  Why not keep up good habits instead of reverting back to old ones all year long?  There have been so many posts about resolutions on blogs, facebook, and twitter that I'm not going to continue on.  I won't say anything you haven't already heard or read.

I finally got my gym membership a couple weeks ago.  The fact that I did it just around New Year's Day is merely a coincidence, not me being a hypocrite, haha.  I'd meant to get it much earlier in the year, but other things ended up taking up my time and making me forget to go (*cough* wedding *cough*).  It's felt great to get back in and moving again.  I was never a runner, but two years ago I decided that I wanted to become one.  Last summer I ran my first 5k, and helped the Animal Protective Association in the process.  This year I want to run a 10k.  It may not seem difficult to some, but for a girl who was excused from running distances over a mile growing up because of asthma problems, it's a big deal to me.  I'm certainly not the fastest runner in the world, but I simply don't care.  It's not about the speed for me.  I'm just learning to love to run and enjoy the sights while I do.  Unfortunately winter brings treadmills and my enjoyment level drops a bit, but in a couple months I'll be back outside again.

I also can't seem to think about much else besides wedding planning.  I'm even starting to have nightmares about it.  In the first my dress didn't show up until the night before the wedding and when I pulled it out, it was the wrong dress!  Instead of the dress I ordered, I instead had some poofy tangerine colored mess.  It looked like it came straight from a 1985 prom.  The second nightmare I realized the day before the wedding that I'd never ordered a cake or flowers and I had yet to try on my dress after it came in.  Then the reception venue was set up all wrong with all the wrong colors, and the general public was filtering in to eat the food.  I didn't get any of the food I wanted.

I thought that once we got all our vendors (which we have) that I'd feel less stressed about the whole planning process.  Not so much.  We just found out last week that we can't have our friend marry us.  Maybe we were naive but we were under that impression that he could take a class or something and it would be legal.  Apparently that's the case in some states, but not NY.  I should have known.  Now the scramble is on to try to find an officiant that isn't already booked for our date.....in the summer.....in a tourist getaway.....where there are dozens of wedding venues.  Oh boy.

We did just make appointments to meet with the florist, the bakery making the cake, and the venue for our menu tasting.  Now we move on to a travel agent to book the honeymoon, and pick out tuxes.  Also on the to-do list is the registry, which is something we've been excited about doing since before we were even engaged and have yet to even think about.  We have however started having friends and relatives already book their rooms and flights which is getting us more and more excited.  And somehow we've managed to not have a single argument so far in the planning process.  We both seem to be on the same page on everything, which does take some of the stress away.

Mike, a teammate, and I went to the Humane Society to volunteer yesterday.  I've said it before, but the Paws 4 Cause initiative that Mike helped start between the team and the Humane Society means a bunch to us.  We're both such animal lovers that we want to do everything to help animals that need it.  After the flooding the dogs and cats had to be separated into two different locations.  The dogs stayed and the cats were moved.  Yesterday we helped to move in cat food and clear space so that the cats can move back in.

There was a dog I'd bonded with the last time I'd been there named Harley.  She was a lab/pit bull mix and was a total sweetheart.  It was funny how different she was in the cage to outside of it.  I was worried she may not be adopted quickly because of how aggressive she seemed in the cage, despite the fact that outside of it she just wanted to give kisses and be pet.  I showed up yesterday looking forward to seeing her again, but she wasn't there!  She'd been adopted which despite my slight sadness at not seeing her again, made me incredibly happy.  I saw the note her adopted family sent in about her and it seems like she's loving her new life, which is something she and all the other animals in the shelter deserve.  Of course I found a new dog, Lady, who was just brought in to fall in love with.  If only having two dogs over 50 pounds was possible with our lifestyle.....

We're doing another visit next week with the cats and then two visits the following week.  Mike, some of his teammates, and I are going to help the Humane Society with an adopt-a-thon.  I don't have all the details yet, but I'm looking forward to hopefully helping some of these animals find a permanent home.  Even Bauer is going to come along to help out.  He was a shelter dog too at one point.

So far 2012 is looking like it's going to be a good year.  I hope that turns out to be the case, not just for me, but for everyone else as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment