Monday, January 23, 2012

Shit Fans Say

Welcome to my new weekly feature!  Some statements will be more serious than others, but this is meant to be fairly lighthearted so I hope you take it that way.  Like I said in the last post this isn't just things I or others have overheard fans say but also broadcasters, journalists, bloggers, analysts, etc.  I'll put in the saying, then explain why it irks me, or how I can understand how it irks others.  Obviously these are my opinions, and it's okay if you disagree with me.  Sometimes being a goalie's girl puts things into different perspective than someone looking at the game from a different angle.  Not always, but sometimes.  And it also doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong, just that our thought process is different.

Please don't take offense if you see something you've said in this or any of the following "Shit Fans Say" posts.  I don't blame you.  I've said pretty much all of these at some point in my life.  It took years of dating a goalie for my perspective on the game of hockey to change from fan to insider and from insider to goalie's perspective.  Many people never get the chance like I did to see the game from a player's point of view.  Even after 8 years I'm still guilty.

I'm sure I'm not surprising anyone by saying there are some misinformed "experts" in the hockey world in some areas.  Many of these sayings come from people fans trust to be knowledgeable, so why wouldn't they repeat the same thing?  It's like a math teacher telling you 2 + 2 = 5.  They're supposed to be an expert, so why wouldn't you believe them?  Again, I'm not saying these are wrong.  Some are dead on at least some of the time.  I'm just saying they bug me when I hear them.  PS - There might be a fair amount of goalie stuff in here, for obvious reasons.

1. "He's going to want that goal back."

Most often said by someone who never played goal in their life, immediately following a goal scored.  Sometimes that statement is dead on.  There are certainly goals that a goalie wishes he could go back and play differently.  No one is perfect.  It bothers me when I hear it despite the validity of the statement merely because how does that person know?  How do they know the goalie will want that goal back?  Can they read minds?  Maybe something happened on the ice said person didn't see.  Maybe the goalie did exactly what he should have, and would always do if given the exact same play again. I just think that it's unfair to make assumptions for another person not just in hockey, but in life.  Ask someone how they feel about the goal (or situation) before telling the world how they feel.  Often how you think they'd feel is different from how they actually do.  It's a case of reporting assumption instead of fact and you know what they say about making assumptions.....  Of course, if a former goalie makes the statement, there's probably a whole lot of truth to it.

2. "It's deserted in here."

Any version of this statement that comments on the lack of fans in a rink also work.  I hate hearing this.  I've heard broadcasters go on and on about how empty a rink is during a game.  We get it.  There aren't a lot of fans at that particular game.  Let it go.  I've also heard fans use this statement as a way to put down another team.  I think it's cowardly.  Fans of certain franchises know what their fanbase is like.  They don't need you rubbing it in their faces and trying to make them feel like they aren't worth as much as you are simply because your favorite team has more fans.  Mike has played for teams that draw well and teams that don't.  I hated hearing people talk shit about the amount of fans of a team he played for and I hate hearing a team he plays for talk shit about the opposing team's fans.  Even if there aren't a lot of them, having fewer fans doesn't make them any less passionate.  There are so many reasons people may not show up to games that range from other events in the city that day to an over-saturated market.  I think we can all agree that whether it's 500 or 20,000 fans at a game we all love the same sport, and I think there's something to be said for that.

Come back next week for another edition of "Shit Fans Say" and as always, feel free to leave a comment or send a tweet to @RALind17 with things you've overheard that drive you nuts or discuss your feelings on the day's statements!

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading recently a post on fb, that a fan made, requesting a coach to "scratch" a player for the next game because he had a bad game.... according to this fan anyway. It's rather annoying that fans think hockey players can win every game they play. Everyone has their ups and downs. Why do they assume hockey players are superheros? ya know.
    ~ @Parent5x

    ReplyDelete