Saturday, October 15, 2011

Back to Normal

Well, sort of.  I got into Binghamton last Friday in time for opening night of the regular season.  I headed over to the rink early to take in the atmosphere of attending my first Calder Cup banner raising, even if Mike wasn't a part of it last year.  I took some time to just walk around my new home rink and check it out.  It's an older rink, which means it's not exactly nice, but it has tons of character.  One side of the rink is straight windows so you can just hang out on the concourse and look out over the city.  The seats are right on top of the ice and the acoustics are pretty great.  Combine that with being a small rink that looks close to full with fans each night, and it's a cool place to watch a game.

We got our place on Monday and officially moved into it on Tuesday.  It's close to the rink, and super easy to get between the two which makes my life much easier than last year when I had to leave half an hour before game time to make the puck drop.  Parking isn't all that fun, and I'm pretty sure I was parked illegally last night, but I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get a little more accustomed to the area.

We have a pretty nice size fenced in back yard for Bauer to run around in which makes him happy.  There's also an insane amount of squirrels running around our yard which makes Bauer even happier.  I don't know that anything, besides maybe food, gets him more excited than chasing squirrels.  He's still getting used to the new place, noises still make him jump, but he went nuts playing with toys the last two days so that's a sign that he's settling in.

The place was mostly furnished when we moved in, which made life easy for the most part.  The only thing is that the kitchen was full of stuff, and we have our own things.  Right now our kitchen is a disaster while we figure out what to do with the stuff that was here so we can put away our pots, pans, and dishes.  I'm so ready for a good home cooked meal right about now.  We cook almost every day, rarely going out to eat, so eating nothing but restaurant food is really getting to me.

It's just nice to be back together as a family again.  The unpacking is done (except for the kitchen) and we're back to spending our days like we normally do.  I no longer have to live out of a suitcase like I did for the past month, and I don't have to plan out a time to talk to Mike each day.  I also have a job interview next week, so I'm excited about that.

The girls here all seem really great.  They've been a pretty big help on learning things about the area, the team, and so on for us new girls that are here.  It seems like we'll have a good group that lives here all year and an equally good group that will be in and out visiting.  We've also already started planning the different charity events we're going to do throughout the year to benefit numerous charities.  This is really the first time we've been with a team that allows us so much free reign to do what we want in the community, which is awesome.

The final details have just been ironed out on our Love for Lokomotiv bracelet sales.  I'm just waiting on the team to give me the okay to make the announcement, so keep an eye out for that.  Hopefully we'll have an announcement soon!


  1. I think thats so great what yall are doing with the Love for Lokomotiv bracelets! Great idea too! I just bought one for me and my dad :) Sounds like your adjustment is going well!

  2. So glad you guys are settling in so well! And that you have a job interview - I feel as if I wouldn't feel quite settled until I had a schedule of my own if I were constantly moving around. Good luck!!

  3. I just wanted to say thank you for helping to sell the Lokomotiv bracelets. i'm adopted from Russia, so the crash kind of hit close to home

    Mike and I share last names, so...that's how i ended up here i guess:)